- What we do
- Who we are
- News & Documents
- Partnership in Mission
- Christmas Catalogue 2020
In 1883, Euphraise Barbier the foundress of the Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions laid the foundation in Chittagong which eventually grew into a province which consisted of East Pakistan, India and Burma. Independence in 1947, divided India further into three different countries: East Pakistan, Burma and India. In 1962, long after Independence, war broke out between India and China, the Himalayan boarder as the main issue. This political tension largely influenced the establishment of the Indian province.
It became necessary for the Superior General M. St. Dominic Savio to make a crucial decision for the Indian Province. Therefore three separate regions were created in 1962, East Pakistan, Burma and India, yet remain one province with its headquarters (Provincialate) at St. Scholastica’s Convent, Chittagong. Later it became the Indian region in 1964 with the Regional House at St. Joseph’s Convent, Shillong. The political situation between India and East Pakistan remained difficult and uncertain. During the General Chapter of 1969, the decision was made for the 3 regions become autonomous provinces. Thus India became a province of its own with the Provincialate and Novitiate at St. Joseph’s Convent, Shillong. In 1972 the General Chapter decided to transfer the Provincialate from Shillong to Our Lady Queen of the Missions, Kolkata. The reorganization of the Indian Province into three vice provinces took place on 1st January 1995 and by 2000 into three provinces – India Central, India North East and India South.
At present the sisters work in administration and teaching in schools at different levels of education both formal and non-formal. Sisters are also involved in social work, pastoral work, and health.